- Posted by rhbpace
- On November 25, 2014
Africa is a massive continent and choosing a destination or a single country can be completely overwhelming. In fact many US citizens still think of the whole of Africa as one country. Richard has always delighted in seeking and sourcing unique experiences in Africa. Zimbabwe offers the best of Africa in one country- unparalleled for adventure, diverse tropical wildlife, extraordinary beauty and a fascinating history both past and present. Zimbabwe is unspoiled by mass tourism and despite negative international press, it is a safe, friendly and easily accessible destination – well worth visiting for something more unique in Africa, and of of Richard’s top destinations in Africa.
Richard shares some interesting and lesser known facts about the country and it’s attractions and places of interest. Richard can assist with travel advice, places of interest or help you organize a tour to visit Zimbabwe. Ask Richard now.
2) Victoria Falls was first seen by a European when David Livingstone viewed them in 1855. He named the falls for Queen Victoria. The natives called the falls Mosi-ao -Tunya or Smoke that Thunders. The local name is an excellent descriptor of what visitors will see.
3) Zimbabwe is about the same size as Montana or Japan.
4) Zimbabwe has been called “The Breadbasket of Africa” due its fertile soil and excellent climate for agriculture.
5) Lake Kariba is the world’s largest artificial lake and reservoir covering over 2,000 square miles. Completed in 1963, the lake produces hydroelectric power and measures 139 miles long x 25 miles wide at its widest points. It is one of Africa’s wildlife oases and offers tourists the opportunity to game view from its shores as well by boat. Lake Kariba is home to some of the best tiger fishing in all of Africa.
6) Mana Pools National Park can be found on the banks of the Zambezi River. This park is one of the few Big 5 national parks in Africa that allows tourists to walk the area without the aid of a ranger (something we would not recommend). We do highly recommend walking safaris in Mana Pools with Goliath Safaris and Stretch Ferreira.
7) Due to recent findings, Zimbabwe is thought to be home to 25% of the world’s current extractable diamonds.
8) Zimbabwe is a peaceful country rich in wildlife and tourist attractions. Recent negative press has reduced the number of tourists offering the chance for visitors to enjoy the country without the crowds.
9) Zimbabwe is only an hour’s flight from Johannesburg. Such close proximity to the South African International Airport of Johannesburg allows for easy access to tourists arriving into Southern Africa.
10) Victoria Falls is 1,500 yards wide at and is one and one half times as high as Niagara Falls and twice as high.
Richard has more than 12 years of personal travel in Africa, in addition to guiding and planning trips and itineraries for his clients. He has seen and experienced most of Southern and East Africa and is continuously staying up to date and researching the latest news, lodges, accommodation and travel logistics. If you need advice or a chat….. just ASK RICHARD!
Southern Sky Adventures
Specializing in guided and self-drive trips through Southern and East Africa & the Indian Ocean Islands
721 Woodward Way, NW, Atlanta, GA 30327 USA
404.300.9630 office – 770.324.0068 cell